HomePage Forums Troubleshooting CPR Call Blocker Explicit instructions on how to use V202 with ADSL in the USA?

Topic Resolution: Resolved

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  cprsupport 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    DD

Hi guys, I can’t get my CPR V202 to work under any wiring or installation scenario, either from the manual or from other scenarios. Here is the setup:

Prior to CPR 202: From the main phone jack from the outside into the house, we have a line splitter that splits into a garden variety phone (Panasonic EZAI2997) and a DSL splitter.

GLOSSARY:
    WJ = Wall Jack
    2Split = split 1 phone line/cable into two lines/cables
    DSL = DSL Splitter
    P = regular ordinary phone (Panasonic EZAI2997)
    2Split >>> or VVV = the two lines that branch from the two way splitter in the phone line chain. I don’t know how to represent this branch in an easier way in ASCII text, but when you see >>> and VVV it means that there is a split in the phone line chain; >>> is one new line and VVV is the other new line.

Original setup looked like this:

WJ >>> 2Split >>> to DSL filter >>> P

VVV

To DSL >>> to DSL modem

In other words, starting at the wall jack to the two way splitter, one line goes to the phone (P) and the other goes to the DSL modem.

This works fine.

Now CPR V202 comes along.

This configuration seems to work if the DSL modem is disconnected from the V202 line:

WJ >>> CPR V202 >>> to P

I am able to press the up and down arrow keys on the V202 and scroll through the list of numbers I want to block.

I am completely unable to put together a configuration, in series or in parallel, in any order of components, where I can have *BOTH* the V202 *AND* the DSL modem working.

1) Let’s say that I put the V202 first in the chain and then split to DSL after the V202:

WJ >>> V202 >>> 2Split >>> DSL filter >>> P

VVV

DSL stuff.

The V202 works fine but the DSL modem can’t sync. In other words, V202 and phone work fine but from the two way splitter downstream from the V202, the modem will never sync. I lose my internet this way.

2) DSL is first in the chain so split V202 downstream from DSL Splitter:

WJ >>> DSL Splitter >>> DSL stuff

VVV

V202 >>> DSL Filter >>> P

DSL works, but V202 does not work, meaning that I can’t scroll through the blocked list, the red Block Now button does not work (ie., no buttons on the V202 work).

3) Split at the wall jack:

WJ >>> 2Split >>> DSL stuff

VVV

V202 >>> DSL filter >>> P

DSL works, but V202 does not work as in Scenario #2.

4) Split at the wall jack but do not connect DSL stuff:

WJ >>> 2Split >>> Nothing

VVV

V202 >>> DSL filter >>> P

V202 works.

4) Split at the wall jack but do not connect V202 stuff:

WJ >>> 2Split >>> Nothing

VVV

DSL stuff

DSL works.

5) In Parallel:

Split at the wall jack:

WJ >>> 2Split >>> DSL stuff

VVV

A second two way splitter >>> V202

VVV

P

Phone works. The V202 does not work in this scenario either, and it is not surprising because it is almost the same scenario as serial scenarios #2 and 3.

NOTE that I have tried all of these scenarios exhaustively with *two separate operational V202 devices* that work in serial when DSL is not connected. All of my phone cables seem to be 100% working. I do not think this is a hardware problem. I tried to isolate each and every possible component to rule out any obvious issues, including getting another, newer, V202 to make sure that the V202 device itself was not malfunctioning. The only thing that I did not test was the phone itself.

So I guess my question is this: *has anyone ever been able to get a V202 working with DSL simultaneously from the wall jack*? And if so, could you give very explicit directions on how this was done?

Hello

When you have DSL modem connections to the main wall jack and a phone
    line or 2 line system, the best way to get all components working in harmony is to
    connect the V202 using the main telephone line cable (line on which you want to block calls from) running directly from the tel port in the back of the modem, directly to the LINE port of the Call Blocker, then using the small black cable from the TEL port of the
    Call Blocker directly into the phone base itself.

Kind Regards
    Louise
    CPR Call Blocker Support
    support@cprcallblocker.com
    USA: 408-872-6822 Mon-Fri 4am-5pm EST
    UK: 01792 342 708 Mon-Fri 8am-10pm

DD

Hi Louise, I don’t think that I understand this connection method. In the back of the DSL modem, I have something that looks like this:

http://help.optuszoo.com.au/img/cms/help/connected/windows/009_302g_modem_back.gif

If the image doesn’t load, the ports in the back are:

-Line IN to modem from DSL splitter
    -Ethernet Line OUT to computer
    -Power supply cable
    -Maybe a USB port

There isn’t a phone jack out from the modem unless you’re talking about the Ethernet cable? From your description, it sounds like there should be a second telephone port line OUT in which the V202 would be plugged.

Are you talking about the telephone port that is upstream of the modem that splits the main telephone cable from the wall into DSL and telephone line?

Like this:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31sHJZmrN-L._SY355_.jpg

Hello again,

No in this scenario, you would not be able to connect it to your modem. Firstly, try using a different DSL filter in the main telephone port, removing the one you currently have in there. Then place the main telephone cable directly into the LINE port of the Call Blocker, and using the white cable (provided with your device) place the red end into the LINE 1 port of the Call Blocker and the other end directly into your telephone base unit.

Get a dial tone, over speaker phone, and press and hold the block now button for 5 -10 seconds till it beeps.

If you have any issues with this set up. Try removing all DSL filters from all wall jacks in your property, and connecting them one at a time starting with the 1st one at the main telephone wall jack to see which one is causing interference on the line and preventing the Call Blocker to work effectively.

Kind Regards
    Louise
    CPR Call Blocker Support

DD

Hi again Louise, thank you for the new ideas to try.

I did as you instructed – I started from the wall jack and used the two way splitter to send one line to the V202 and the other to the DSL splitter and modem.

Now I had the line connected from the two way splitter into the V202 unit. I removed all DSL filters on this V202+phone section of line by the way. From the two way splitter, the telephone line went into the LINE jack on the V202 unit, and I used the short cable with the red end from the LINE1 jack to the main telephone base unit.

Unfortunately I did not get a dial tone in the telephone unit. I tried this same set up with multiple cables to rule out any cable problems but unfortunately was unable to get a dial tone in the telephone base unit.

Perhaps I should point out that I am in the USA. My understanding from the V202 documentation is that LINE1 from V202 is only useful in the U.K.?

Hello

The LINE 1 port is only used for setting up the Call Blocker in Parallel, i.e. using the white cable.

Can you please try connect it to an alternate Wall Jack where your modem is not connected. Can you also connect it without any DSL filter in the Wall Jack, just using the main telephone cable from the wall jack directly into the LINE port of the Call Blocker, and the small black cable from the TEL port of the Call Blocker to the main telephone base unit.

Please try this set up without any DSL filters connected to any other wall jacks in the property, and once you have the Call Blocker and phone connected, reconnect the additional DSL filters one at a time to see which one is causing the interference.

Kind Regards
    Louise
    CPR Call Blocker Support

DD

Hi again Louise, the house only has a single wall jack. When I describe all of the different situations such as the two way line splitter, it is from this single (main) wall jack.

I did as you suggested: I disconnected everything from the main wall jack except the V202 and the telephone that is connected in serial from the TEL port of the V202.

This worked. This is Scenario #4 in post #766 (the original post). I can use each of my DSL filters on the V202 and it still works.

As soon as I add in the DSL line, the V202 fails (but the DSL line works). This is independent of the configuration of the DSL filters. This is the same as Scenario #3 in the original post above.

Is it possible that there is insufficient power going through this simple telephone set up to power the V202 with the DSL attached? The DSL is at a very basic level – it is rather “slow” DSL however.

Thank you Louise for your hard work on this difficult question.

Hello again,

It does appear that there is not enough power on your phone line. As you stated, when you have everything disconnected, then readd the DSL filters, it still works, but when you add your DSL line, the Call Blocker looses power and can’t function.

It is possible if your provider splits your line so the DSL runs independently, which they can do, then the 2 devices can work alongside one another.

If you need any further advice, please let me know.

Kind Regards
    Louise
    CPR Call Blocker Support

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.